3 lb chicken, cut into 8 even-sized pieces
1 tablespoon olive oil
12 fresh figs or 12 dried figs, soaked in hot water for 2 hours
10 whole cloves garlic
1 large onion, thinly sliced
½ teaspoon ground coriander
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon (我沒放)
½ teaspoon ground cumin
pinch of cayenne (我沒放)
3 bay leaves
1.5 cups (375ml/12oz) ruby port
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
2 tablespoons lemon juice (我沒放)
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Remove any excess chicken fat. Reserve the chicken giblets if there are any. Lightly season the chicken.
- Heat the olive oil in a large heavy-based frying pan over high heat and cook the chicken in batches, skin-side-down, for 5 minutes or until the skin is golden.
- Remove from the pan and place skin-side-down un a single layer in a 33×23 cm (13×9 inch) baking dish with the giblets.
- Scatter the garlic and onion over the top, carefully pressing them into any gaps and being careful not to squash the figs.
- Sprinkle the spices over the top, tuck in the bay leaves, then pour in the port.
- Cover and bake 25 minutes, then turn the chicken.
- Uncover and bake for another 20 minutes or until the chicken is just tender.
- Stir in the lemon zest and juice and bake for another 15 minutes, or until chicken is very tender.