In Switzerland, Zofp is the country’s national bread. The history or story behind it come with two versions, read HERE. The tradition is customary to gift a zopf on Swiss National Day (August 1st). It’s also known as a Sunday bread, when you can expect the table to be groaning with a sizeable loaf, butter and jam with cheese and dry meats.
Zofp bread is everywhere in Swiss and you can buy a freshly baked Zofp even in a gas station. You can also buy a half-baked Zofp in a supermarket and bake it at home to enjoy. Zopf is similar to Jewish bread, challah, in terms of shape and taste but one major difference is the use of butter – after all, it is called butterzopf for a reason. It is also similar to Brioche but I personally like Zofp more.
Making a zofp at home from scratch is easy if you have made other types of bread before.
ZOFP (for one loft)
240g All Purpose flour* 中筋麵粉
240g Bread flour* 高筋麵粉
12g Sugar 糖
8g Salt 鹽
1 pk or 7g Active dry yeast 酵母
75g Soft unsalted butter 放軟的無鹽奶油
270g warm milk 溫暖的牛奶
1/2 Large egg (the other half save for egg wash on bread) 大顆蛋
** Trader Joe’s AP flour has a higher % of protein than other brands so if you are using TJ’s AP flour, you can use a total of 480g (no bread flour needed).
- Mix dry ingredients first in a stand mixer’s bowl, then add milk, egg, and butter.
- After everything is mixed, set at slow speed and knead the dough until the bowl is clean and the dough is not sticky, about 18-20 min.
- Leave the dough either in room temperature for 1-2 hours or in the fridge if you plan to use it later the day or overnight for the next day (first proofing).
- Cut the dough into two portions, flatten a bit, fold and roll, and put aside for 5 min as second proofing.
- Roll each portion into long strings and start braiding (see below).
6. Egg wash the bread, sit aside for 15-30 min, and the egg wash it again before baking.
7. Preheat oven to 350F, bake for 25-30 min or until golden brown.
Nothing better than freshly baked bread!!
Zofp (ㄗㄡˋㄈㄨ , P不發音) 是瑞士的國民麵包, 傳統是週日才看得到, 或在8/1瑞士國慶日的時候當禮物送人, 但現在你在各大超市都買得到剛出爐的或者半烤的麵包 (省時間又可以吃熱騰騰的), 即便在加油站都可以買到.
Zopf 跟猶太人的challah 麵包, 在形狀和口感上很像, 但其中最大一點的不同是奶油. Zofp跟法國的 Brioche麵包也很像, 但我更喜歡Zofp, 如果做得好的話.
** Trader Joe’s 的中筋麵粉含有較高的蛋白質, 所以你可以全部都用他家的中筋麵粉, 如果你是用別家的中筋麵粉, 就要按照食譜, 再搭配240g的高筋麵粉.
- 先將乾的材料混合, 再加入牛奶, 蛋, 奶油.
- 全部都倒入Stand Mixer, 以慢速打到麵團乾淨不黏, 大概18-20分鐘.
- 將麵團放置室溫1-2小時或者放冷藏隔夜 (如果沒有馬上要用) (第一次發酵).
- 將麵團切成二等份, 稍微壓平, 往內捲折(成棒狀), 放置一旁5分鐘(第二次發酵).
- 然後各自揉成長條狀, 擺成十字型, 開始編織 (看影片).
- 塗上蛋液後放置一旁約15-30分鐘, 再上一次蛋液後就可以進烤箱.
- 烤箱設定350F, 烤25-30分鐘或者呈金黃色.
這個麵包就是在加油站的商店裡買的, 很多加油站的商店裡有烤箱, 所以麵包都是新鮮熱呼呼的.